The web is more a social creation than a technical one. I designed it for a social effect — to help people work together — and not as a technical toy. The ultimate goal of the Web is to support and improve our world. –Tim Berners-Lee
Web Design involves the visual design of Web graphics and the visual design of a Web site experience. The Web Design Certificate requires learning graphic and visual design principles for Web application, industry standard software, and Web page construction and design, and animation and interactivity for Web sites. This certificate will prepare students for an entry-level position working in a Web design-related field.
Career Opportunities include employment at Web design studios, graphic design studios, or self-employment.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- create a visual solution and interface for a multi-paged Website.
- utilize industry vocabulary for effective communication with clients and other Web professionals.
- evaluate the needs of a client, plan, and execute a site that meets those needs.
- design graphics and navigation that create a Website experience for a target audience.
- properly prepare graphic and html files for efficient uploading and viewing on the Web.
- apply appropriate type, color, layout design, and imagery to a Web site.
- demonstrate and analyze graphic design principles and how to modify them to satisfy the technical limitations on the Web.
- GCOM 101 Introduction to the Macintosh (1.5)
–or CISC 320 Operating Systems (1)
–or CISC 323 Linux Operating System (1)
–or CISC 305 Introduction to the Internet (1)
- GCOM 330 Digital Imaging 1 (3)
- GCOM 332 Digital Imaging 3 (3)
- GCOM 340 Digital Illustration for Graphic Design 1 (3)
- GCOM 360 Introduction to Web and Interactive Technologies (3)
- CISW 320 Introduction to Web Site Development (3)
- GCOM 361 Beginning Creative Web Design (3)
- GCOM 362 Intermediate Creative Web Design (3)
- GCOM 383 Interactive Design 2 (3)
–or CISW 405 ActionScript for Flash (3)
- CISW 470Web Projects (3)
Certificate of Achievement
The Certificate of Achievement may be obtained by completion of the required program with grades of “C” or better.